Due to the second wave of Covid-19 in Ontario, TRIO now requires IVF patients to take a two-month (rather than a one month) break between embryo transfers. This is to limit the number of patients in the operating room and on the 18th floor, allowing us to continue to observe strict physical distancing, and a high level of sanitizing and cleaning throughout the clinic. Your understanding helps to keep all patients –and staff –safe and healthy while they are in treatment and strengthens our ability to stay open during the pandemic
While two months may feel like a long time, you don’t have to sit around and watch the clock. You can use this time to get your mind and body ready for your transfer and help improve your chances of success.
There are easy things you can do that will help your endometrial lining to get it nice and sticky, and optimize your gestational environment so you’re in the best shape to receive and nurture embryos and boost your chances of a successful embryo transfer.
Eat for fertility:
- Keep your diet full of healthy, whole foods that are antioxidant rich, like berries!
- Get your fat from healthy sources like avocadoes
- Get your carbohydrates from low GI sources – think whole grains, berries, and vegetables
- Avoid skipping meals, intermittent fasting and ketogenic diets
- Need help? Your Conceive Health ND can assist you with creating a customized fertility diet plan that works for you
Acupuncture helps to improve blood flow to the lining, reduces contractility of the uterus, and reduces the stress response.
Develop healthy habits:
- Reduce your caffeine consumption
- Increase your water and electrolyte consumption
- Get enough quality sleep
- Relax and reduce stress. This includes reducing physiological stress caused by over working, under sleeping, and extreme diets that can affect hormones (IF and Keto)
- Moderate exercise and movement promote circulation and are good for mental health
Maintain a healthy BMI:
A BMI that is too high or low has an impact on endometrial receptivity. If in doubt, your Conceive Health ND can help you determine healthy and realistic weight goals that will support your fertility.
Take the right supplements:
Taking the right supplements is important – too much, too little or the wrong nutraceutical can impact your success.
The Mind/Body Connection:
While you’re taking care of your body, it’s equally important to consider the Mind/Body/Spirit connection. This includes thinking about what would work best for you during this time:
- For example, you may decide to view these two months as a ‘mini holiday’ to recoup your mental energy — an opportunity to take a break from all things fertility-related
- Or you may consider joining one of TRIO’s support groups and connecting with others who have gone – or are going through — the same thing. Click here for a list of our groups and instructions on how to join
- You could decide to focus on preparing and enjoying your favourite healthy foods, beginning a yoga practice, or a daily meditation – essentially whatever self-care activities you love to do that will help you to feel good about yourself